Friday, 19 January 2018

Creating The Models in Maya

Using my concept art as reference, I created models almost identical to the ones I drew. I will not go through how I made the models and simply just write about why I made what I made and how it affects the models as a whole.
So, the creation of the models was very simple and took me almost no time at all, as the concept art was already created and finished, it made the modelling process much easier and simpler. The difficult part about the process was the UVing and baking process.





My first model had many problems with the baking from high to low poly, the details did not transfer properly and looked skewed and distorted. This took a lot of time to fix as I could not tell what was the problem with the model, as it turns out, the problem was with the UV map, some pieces were too small and not large enough and some faces had completely collapsed, meaning no details could be transferred. After figuring this out, I eventually got my UVs looking okay again and the bake worked perfectly.





The details I used in the bake were just vents and bolts that I created and re-used on all my models to create a similar theme throughout my three models while also saving myself time.





As you can see by the picture above, the details transferred seamlessly onto the model.
Going through this process and messing it up the first time made it so much easier for me to catch and fix problems with my second models and shortened the time spent on baking the models.




No comments:

Post a Comment